
I. Love. the Amalfi. Coast. I went with a group of students to Naples, Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii this past weekend. It was absolutely gorgeous!! When we first arrived, we took a tour of the ancient ruins of Pompeii. It was incredible to see the huge city that was at one time completely covered in volcanic ash. And it was really weird to see exactly how the original inhabitants lived. There were preserved petrified people that were still in their original frightened positions. But I really loved Pompeii and learning all the history behind the city.
Next we went to Sorrento to check into our hotel rooms. We stayed about a half mile from the beach. The
Sorrento coast is absolutely breathtaking and I hope I can go back someday and spend more time there. The following day, we took a ferry to the Island of Capri. It was such an amazing day! We took a little tour boat around the island in the morning. After the boat ride we went to the beach and swam in the ocean. Then we took a little chair lift to the very top of the Island. From there the panoramic views of all the surrounding water was unbelievable! The above picture was taken about half way up the island. The picture on the left was taken in the "Green Grotto". I could not believe how beautifully blue and clear the water was! The Island is a volcanic island and was formed mostly from rock. This is why the island is so tall and vertical. It is incredible to look at it from a distance. Below is a picture of the panoramic view from the top of the island looking down.
And the picture doesn't even do it justice!The next day, we left Sorrento for home via Naples! Naples didn't rank too high on my list. It was very dirty and too metropolitan for me. BUT...we did get to go to the place where pizza was invented! The place is called Pizzeria Brandi and had been in existence since 1790.
I was so thankful for the trip because in Perugia it is starting to cool off quite a bit and the southern coast of Italy is still quite warm. And the ocean water felt so great!

No comments:
Post a Comment