Perugia is wonderful. I've been here for a little over a month and I am slowly getting used to the customs and lifestyle differences. There are many! Some differences I was prepared for. But many I wasn't. For example, Italians tend to be slow. In everything they do. Except driving. I knew this...felt prepared for those frustrations. Every time I have gone to the post office, I have had to wait at least half an hour. (I feel like that's a universal thing though...) No big deal, right?
- I was not prepared though for my first grocery store experience. While you check out, you have the option of using plastic bags or not. Well of course you need a way to carry your items home, so I said yes, please I would like a bag. Turns out, there is a charge for plastic grocery bags. It wasn't much of a charge, but just the idea of it baffled me!
- Italians also eat dinner very late. Restaurants don't even open until 730 or 8 pm. At first, I couldn't stand waiting that long to eat! But me and my roommates have been cooking later and later and even though it isn't the healthiest time to eat, I've actually grown to like it.
- "La pausa" occurs every afternoon from around noon until 4. It is the break Italians take each afternoon to go home and rest from work. Everything closes and it is difficult to try and get anything done during this time! Running afternoon errands is impossible. Coming from the states where we have 24 hour WalMarts and food joints, it has been super difficult to get used to this. I've had to become more flexible in scheduling shopping trips and other outings. Although the convenience factor is small compared to the states, I actually do love the laid-back relaxed way of life.
- Nightlife has been quite the experience. Most clubs back home have a cover charge to get in. Well, clubs here don't. They just don't let you leave until you've paid 10 +euro. This equates to around 15 US dollars! Last week me and my roommates and some other folks went out to a bar to get some drinks. Then we were invited to a discotecca! So we went with some guys who told us they could get us in for free. We thought, well why not?! We get inside and can I just say that night clubs in Italy are not exactly classy places. We had been there about 5 minutes and the guy who got us in told us we had to give him 10 euro! I was PISSSSED. We had no idea we had to pay. None of us bought drinks and we were planning on leaving soon. All of us decided that the guy who wanted our money was sketchy and probably didn't even work for the club. So we made our way to the door. Oh but wait. The bouncers wouldn't let us LEAVE because we didn't have exit passes. I managed to sneak out, but the other girls were stuck inside. I knew a guy outside the club and explained the situation to him. Fortunately he was able to get everyone out without having to pay!
Looking back on that night makes me angry. But the exit charge is pretty much the same as a cover/entry charge back in the states. We just had no idea. The difference though is everything back home is out in the open and there are no "hidden charges". You know what you are getting yourself into and aren't surprised by weird people trying to take advantage of you. Quite frustrating, but now we know! haha It seems that we are having to learn about these cultural differences the EXTRA hard way!
- Coffee is another interesting difference. There are rules. Big time! Most Italians don't order any sort of a coffee drink with milk in it after mid-morning. If you want a Cappuccino or Cafe Late, you better get it for breakfast or else you will be laughed at! The coffee in Italy is amazing though. They seriously know how to brew it here :)
- One thing I don't think I will ever get used to is the idea of very little personal space. While having a conversation with an Italian, usually they will stand very close to your face. You get every detail in people's complexions and every tasty bodily odor! Sick. Or when you are walking down the street, people don't move out of your way. If they do, it's at the very last minute! Last weekend me and my roommate's were riding on the mini-metro from the farmers' market back to our apartment. I was sitting in a seat and others were standing holding onto the side bars. A girl decided there was enough room in my seat for her as well, so she plopped right down! I was so startled. I immediately gave my seat to her and stood the rest of the way home. I think she thought I was strange, but I really had no desire to be sitting that close to a complete (smelly) stranger. Call me weird.
- Another interesting thing about food service is having to ask for the check. Back in the states, waiters bring out the check as soon as possible to try and hurry folks out for more business. In Italy, you have to ask, sometimes multiple times, for the check to be delivered. Italians do not rush through meals. They take their time eating and enjoy mealtime as much as possible. I love it. But our first restaurant experience was funny. We sat for a very long time after finishing our food before realizing we needed to ask for the check!
- Fashion. If you are seen walking around in your sweat pants(which I do on a regular basis back home...in public places), people think you are depressed or have something seriously wrong with you! The sloppy, yet comfortable look doesn't fly here in Italy. Sad day. Wanna know what is in "style" right now? M.C. Hammer pants!!!! NOOOOooooooo. Girls wear them everywhere. They look ridiculous. I'll try and snap a pic of this phenomena to bring home with me :)
Despite the frustrations and differences we have had to get used to, I am enjoying Italy soooo much! The learning experience has definitely encompassed much more that what I am learning in the classroom. There is a great sense of community here in Perugia. We have met tons of people just by walking through the piazzas and going to the same pubs and pizzerias. There are also many students studying in Perugia from all over the world. Hearing people's crazy life stories and backgrounds is fascinating. One month down and I can't wait for all the amazing experiences I will have in the next 3!!
No comments:
Post a Comment